The Pursuit of Green

Friday, October 1, 2010

@ home groomer!

Grooming, maybe not an interesting topic but never-the-less it is one way that we work on saving a little green.
Maybe this is to be inspiration for us to actually accomplish this task this weekend.
We have an 82 pound designer mutt named Moose. who has a beautiful yellow coat that he acquired from his golden retriever mom & standard poodle dad...which means big soft curls, that love to get tangled! I'm sure this has nothing to do with time spent romping around @ the dog park :/

We have gone the route in the past of taking him to get professionally groomed (like when he got so matted we didn't know what else to do). But lately we have taken it to doing our own puppy salon @ home! (LARGE applause for Keith)


The video was a nice ball-fetch break for Keith & Moose :)

Fortunately we inherited a pair of dog clippers from my parents (thank you!), so this part was totally free. If not you could pick up one for somewhere in the ballpark of $30-40. Then we used (trial and error logic) a huge Rubbermaid tote for Moose to stand on (much like that @ the pro groomers place). 
Granted this took a couple of hours but it was at least $60 in our wallets!! We then also do our own bathing of Moose in our tub.  For a $13 bottle of pooch shampoo @ Petco we can get over a year worth of bathing for him, which would normally be only one shampoo a-la groomers. 
We are fortunate that he actually likes getting in the tub & is so good in there. This changes completely when he runs around like his tail's on fire after the bath for the next hour! 
I even managed to do this one night on my own while Keith was @ class. Noel quite enjoyed watching the circus from her play mat in the bathroom :) 
Now so we have groomed one member of the family..what about the rest of us???
Keith actually cuts his own hair as well, using clippers with different length attachments (this is a different clipper than used on Moose-HA!) which I might add looks WAY better than the last 2 times we wasted $30 @ the salon!
For me, I'm in a long hair mode, so I really only get my hair trimmed about twice a year & yes I do go to the salon for myself. 
But all in all we get all "did" for around $60 for the whole year..not too bad eh?? 
(I won't however indulge quite yet on my hour long conditioner aisle shopping..*sigh*) 


Side note: I discovered this from a blog I follow. younghouselove. If you're moving anytime soon. I LOVE this green idea!
                                            rentagreenbox.com - OH! the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment